Friday, January 14, 2011

How I use Networking and Social Media to grow my business.

If you have ever read any of my articles you know I focus on two things to grow a business, Networking and Social Media. When I first started going to networking events I noticed one thing, most people you meet are busy people. While I followed techniques from the experts, I found it hard to schedule meetings and even have conversations with people who really don’t know, like and trust you.
Facebook Solved My Frustration with Networking Events.
You see people make time for people they have relationships with already; anybody who has ever sold something knows this is true! So I was getting frustrated with networking events to say the least. Enter Facebook.
Successful Networking with Facebook.
The entire time I was going to networking events I was also growing my Facebook skills. I was learning how to use all the functions, what people responded to and what people didn’t respond to. After one networking event I went home and began to look up the people on Facebook. Honestly I was being nosey, thinking “let me see what these people are all about?” I ended up requesting 3 people from the event as my friends and they accepted.
Building Business Relationship via Facebook Engagement.
Over the course of the month instead of sending notes through the mail, making phone calls or setting up meetings, I was developing the relationship through Facebook. Most people post things about their day, their business or share content they like. I simply engaged them by “liking” their post, responding to their questions and comments and sometimes talking to them in the IM chat on Facebook…never leaving my home and sometimes from my phone!
After you do this for three weeks something magical happens…they seem to be less busy with their schedule. Now every time I have asked for a meeting I was getting at least one hour, not 15 minutes of coffee! In fact I have received two messages this week in my Facebook account asking to meet for networking or a product presentation.
My Facebook Referral Funnel.
So I now have a referral funnel in development by simply shaking hands and engaging them on Facebook, here is my process:
Find the networking event and set a goal of the number of prospects to meet, my goal is usually 3 people a week, 4 events a month is 12 new referral/prospects a month.
Go to the event, I don’t carry cards, I simply take flyers for my events or a recent blog about networking from my website. When I take there card I say “I’ll send them my eCard,” an email with my info. This will ensure you have the name and email address to search by on Facebook.
That day I go research them on Facebook and add them as my friend, I have only had only one prospect not have a Facebook page in the last two and half months.
I than engage them over a three week period.
Week four I ask them for a meeting, if they haven’t already asked me.
This is the most non-confrontational way I have ever found to set-up a meeting. It takes a few weeks, but if you added this strategy to your current process, how many more direct sales or referrals could you add with very little time invested because of Facebook?
This article is written and contributed by a guest blogger Victor Lopez.

Victor is an ambitious sower. A believer in business looking to serve the small business community. He is a native New Mexican who loves his culture. He was a banker for five years when he decided to pursue his passion to help others. He has over 6 years experience working with small business owners. Victor understands the challenges we all face as small business owners because he is a small business owner. Victor currently also hosting small business networking functions in NM. Please see nmsmallbiz.com for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment